10 DIY Kitchen Project You Can Do Before the Holidays
If you don’t have a lot of experience doing DIY home improvement projects, then you may feel so overwhelmed you aren’t sure where to start. Before you start getting too stressed, take a deep breath and know that you do not have to have your own workshop or have years of experience to complete projects that will drastically improve your spaces.
From paint to hardware, we are going to take a look at 10 DIY-friendly projects that you can do to give your kitchen or bathroom a facelift. While you may need to head out to the hardware store to get a few supplies, these should be fun DIY projects that shouldn’t take up too much of your time or resources. And don’t worry if you are someone who hosts during the holidays, because if you start now, you will have plenty of time to get your kitchen looking perfect.
1. Fresh Coat of Paint
Whether in your kitchen or bathroom, painting your cabinets can be one of the quickest ways to make a dramatic stylistic change. If you are looking for the next trendy paint color to impress guests, paint manufacturers typically release catalogs previewing the coming years’ styles. For example, Benjamin Moore has already announced that October Mist 1495 will be their color of the year for 2022. Here is a rough look at the steps for painting your cabinets, but for a full explanation, check out our complete cabinet finishing guide.
- Remove the cabinet doors that will be painted.
- Remove any dirt and grease with trisodium phosphate (TSP), and sand away any nicks and cracks.
- Prime your cabinets and let them dry. You will need to use at least two coats of primer, and you should remember to lightly sand between coats.
- Paint your cabinets. Again, you will most likely need at least two coats of paint. If you are painting in your bathroom, or other high moisture areas, be sure to select paints and primers designed to deal with the added moisture.
2. Get Creative with Wallpaper
While this project will take a bit more time and effort than painting, wallpapering the insides of your cabinets can be a great way to add a unique style element. Alternatively, if you have recessed panel cabinet doors, then you can cut a piece of wallpaper to fit the panel. Follow these steps to add an awesome design to your cabinet doors:
- Before applying the wallpaper, give your cabinet doors a fresh coat of paint. Having freshly painted frames will highlight the designs you choose for the panels.
- Carefully measure and remeasure the door’s panel, and then cut a piece of wallpaper to the correct size.
- Apply an adhesive to the back of the piece of wallpaper position it on the cabinet door. Using a wallpaper smoother, ensure that there are no air bubbles or inconsistencies.
- Repeat on the rest of the doors that will be receiving a wallpaper upgrade.
3. Sophistication with Cabinet Door Trim
Adding trim to your cabinet doors can be a relatively easy way to add style and sophistication to your space. Trim pieces can be purchased at your local hardware store and then cut to the sizes you will need. To accomplish this DIY project, follow these steps:
- The first step is to measure your cabinet doors. This way you can get a good idea of how much trim you will need to purchase.
- Using a miter box, cut your trim pieces to size.
- If you are painting the trim or door, it is important to let them fully dry before moving on to attaching the trim to the door.
- You will need wood glue and some clamps for the last step. Apply wood glue to the trim and then clamp it in place on the cabinet door. Once it has dried, you can enjoy your beautiful “new” doors!
4. Add Depth by Removing Your Cabinet Doors
Rather than adding to the space, removing your cabinet doors can actually help to add more depth to the room, which is great if you are trying to make the most of a small kitchen. Whether it is a kitchen, bathroom, or maybe even your home office, removing the cabinet doors extends your line of sight, making the room feel larger. However, to enjoy the full effect of this project, it is important to keep the inside of your doorless cabinets neat and organized.
5. Personalize Your Cabinets
Adding a personal element to your design is a great way to make the space feel more comfortable and authentic. For example, you could use a stencil to put your personalized monogram on a central cabinet door. Get creative with how you inject your personality into your space, as it is your space and you should enjoy it.
6. Cork for a Creative Twist
Instead of wallpaper, you can adhere a piece of cork to your cabinet door. This creates a great bulletin board for your kitchen where you can hang recipes, pictures, or other personal items. In addition, it can be an easy way to cover up any imperfections that your cabinets may have. To accomplish this project, you will need to follow these steps:
- Takedown the cabinet doors that you will be working on. Then, carefully measure the area that you want to cover with the cork.
- Cut the cork according to your measurements.
- Apply wood glue to the back of the cork and position it on your cabinet door. Then clamp it in place and let it dry.
7. Industrial Style with Wire
One way to create a stunning industrial design without breaking the bank is to use chicken wire. While this may not sound like a glamorous makeover, when you take your time, chicken wire can help you create unique designs to impress any guest. To carry out this project, you will need to do the following:
- Remove the door face.
- Replace it with chicken wire cut to size.
- You can attach the chicken wire with a staple gun.
8. Show off Your Style with Hardware
Hardware can be a great way to add a personal touch to your home. With the wide variety of options available, there is no doubt you can find the perfect fit with enough persistence. In addition, you can also explore showroom and hardware retailers to see what trending right now. For example, we are loving the trend of bright white cabinetry with matte black hardware.
9. Cabinet Interior Painting
The interiors of your cabinets often go untouched or forgotten, but when utilized properly, they can help create an interesting accent piece for your home. Go for a bold color that works well with the exterior color of the cabinets, so that when opened, you have a surprise two-toned kitchen!
10. Use Chalkboard Paint
This remodel is particularly popular for people who have children in the house or several people with disparate schedules. Using chalkboard paint can allow you to transform one of your cabinet doors into a communication center for your home.
Now that you have ten new ideas for your cabinets, it is time to get started. You can mix and match as many of these projects as you need to in order to create the perfect design for your home.